kitted out in glass
sun moon and legend candles
risen lantern gleams
Built atop a fifth-century chapel reputed to house the remains of Saint Stephen, rises the neogothic-style architecture of Saint-Etienne Cathedral (Metz Cathedral). Its original construction began in the early 1200’s and was completed in 1552. Work continued with various additions, and subtractions until the early twentieth century.
The intricate sculptures surrounding the Western entrance doors of “The Last Judgment” (featured above) were constructed out of Jaumont Stone, a yellowish limestone, famous in the Metz region of France. This stone gives the Western portal its slightly yellowish gleam.
Close-up details, The main doors, The Metz Cathedral below:
Legend: Legend or myth has it that the townsfolk of Metz tell of a dragon called a Graoully that terrorized the city in the 3rd century. St. Clement came to the rescue banishing the dragon to the nearby river. The legend is still celebrated annually in the town on April 15 -16.
Trivia: The Metz Cathedral is ranked number one in the world for its colossal 6,496 m2 (69,920sq. ft) surface area of intricate stained glass windows proclaiming biblical narratives in full color.
Light through the Metz Cathedral’s copious stained glass windows inspired french poet Verlaine (author of “Clair de lune”) to nickname the cathedral “The Lantern of God.”
Wider angle, The Metz Cathedral, Lorraine France:
For more doors visit #ThursdayDoors hosted by Dan Antion, No Facilities