guardians in bronze
inner naval sanctum to
the ship of Peace
The six-meter plus high bronze outer doors at 121 Blake Road, Annapolis Maryland is the entrance to the U.S. Naval College Chapel. The bronze doors, a gift from US Naval Academy’s class of 1868 alumni were installed in 1909, a shield to the pair of wooden doors to the Chapel (*See below for details on the bronze carvings).
Trivia: These bronze doors endured years of weathered decay into modern times. Efforts at low-cost restoration with acid garnered lacklustre results. Finally, in 2018 a generous gift from the graduating class of 1968 alumni funded a full restoration of the doors. The funds were even enough to set up an endowment for the doors’ regular upkeep extending their brilliance for generations to come.
Below you will find a closeup of the bronze doors’ carvings: in the top segment – the personification of Science, and in the bottom segment – a mother teaches her son rudimentary fighting skills.
Wider angle of the US Naval Academy Chapel fascade below: